Pages

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Why Do I Do HIIT Workouts?

Questions Answered: 

I have gotten emails asking why I do HIIT workouts opposed to the more popular yoga or low-key Pilates. The answer is because I like to work hard and work up a good sweat. 

Yeah I know you can sweat in yoga and Pilates and those types of work outs, but I like to get my heart rate up and really test myself and see how hard I can push myself. I ran cross country in high school so I have always preferred workouts that push the limits--to the point of almost throwing up after a workout. When I was running cross country for the varsity team our coach pushed us too hard. By the end of the season I had been running on stress fractures and was down for the count for the following seasons. I had to stop running by my junior year and it really depressed me, I could've gone to school on a scholarship like the other girls on the varsity team. Fast forward a few years and the coach eventually ran those girls too hard and they ended up with stress fractures as well...

After I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease I pretty much ate clean and never really worked out for about a year. I stuck to walks on the beach and trail hiking (which I love and still enjoy). I think that eating clean and a low impact work-out will give you your "ideal body" whatever that may be...but I still craved the feeling of almost passing out from such a good workout. I know it sounds weird, but I know you guys know what I mean...working hard, sweating to the point where it looks like you showered, there is just something so satisfying about it. Yoga, Pilates, Barre Classes...those workouts didn't really satisfy me. I wanted the feeling of having run 6-12 miles, but without damaging my stress fractures and re-fracturing my bones. I wanted to be out of breath like I had just competed in a race, but without being too hard on my body. So I started trying out some HIIT workouts.

HIIT is addicting, just as running used to be for me. 
I can cater the workouts to how my body feels that particular day. If my stress fractures feel like they took a beating from the workout the day before then I will focus on upper body and still work up the same sweat that I did from doing cardio. 

I put on muscle pretty quickly, so does my mom so it could just be good genes and it doesn't take long for me to see results! But with HIIT I think you see results quickly no matter the person.

I know that HIIT isn't for everyone and if you prefer yoga or Pilates, barre classes, kick boxing, whatever you do, then that works for you and you shouldn't stop doing it! 
I am just answering the questions of a few emails I have gotten asking about my workouts, why I do them, and what is the difference between HIIT and other workouts.

I do not eat clean all day every day...I'm human, some days I forget to eat until dinner, some days I can't stop eating, some days I am PMSing and nothing sounds good except candy and chips...other days just thinking of junk food makes me sick to my stomach. For the most part, I have a very clean diet, made up mostly of fruits, vegetables, nuts, lean meat and I prefer coconut oil and olive oil over butter. 

I have always loved cooking and have been cooking meals for myself since middle school, living a healthy lifestyle is important to me and I like to take care of my body, especially having Celiac Disease and recovering bones from lack of nutrient absorption because of the disease...being healthy is a priority. 

These are workouts I can continue to do when I am pregnant, not looking/feeling my best, or on days where I do not feel like going anywhere but staying home in my jammies. You just adjust the workouts to how you feel that day, keeping you motivated :) 



I hope you guys have a great day!

Keep the questions coming!

-Sydney- 


No comments:

Post a Comment